Graduate Employees’ Organization (GEO), the union of graduate student instructors and graduate student staff assistants at the University of Michigan, is seeking a part-time (20 hr/wk) Finance and Office Manager to work in Ann Arbor, MI.
- Day-to-day bookkeeping and office management activities, including but not limited to processing invoices, payroll, reimbursement requests, procurement requests, and account reconciliation
- Following up with vendors to resolve any potential issue (internet outages, malfunctioning equipment, etc.)
- Communication with members about dues (in coordination with staff organizers and Treasurer)
- Communication with the University’s Academic HR and Payroll departments regarding dues deductions, contract compliance, and membership status. Successfully resolving any discrepancies that may arise.
- Updating our database with new membership information supplied by the University (monthly)
- Preparation of monthly financial statements
- Budget preparation (annually)
- Act as official contact for the annual financial audit; work closely with the auditor to successfully complete the process
- Dues reconciliation (annually)
- Regular coordination with staff organizers and leadership for large scale decisionmaking, including attendance at bi-monthly officer/staff meetings
- Accounting experience, including budgeting and audit preparation
- Ability to manage time and coordinate multiple projects
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Experience with database management
- Experience with QuickBooks and the ability to quickly learn additional software applications as necessary
- Demonstrated, advanced Excel skills (VLookup, Pivot Tables)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- US citizenship or other authorization to work in the United States
- Prior experience in a higher education environment
- Experience as a staff member in a volunteer-run organization
- Experience in the labor movement
- Openness to occasional weekend and evening work as needed
Position is open until filled, though the ideal start date is June 1, 2018. Starting salary is $2,550 per month. Benefits include: employer-sponsored health plan, paid time off, retirement contribution match (after 1 year).
How To Apply:
Cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position. Please combine these application materials into a single PDF named using the following format: <last name>_<first name>_office_manager_application.pdf. (E.g., if your name is Jane Smith, the file should be named “smith_jane_office_manager_application.pdf.”) Email the application to email@example.com
Position and benefits are subject to the collective bargaining agreement between G.O.O.D. and the Graduate Employees’ Organization. GEO strongly encourages applicants who identify as trans, queer, and/or non-male; applicants of color; applicants with poor and working-class backgrounds; and applicants with disabilities.